Things to Do on the Olympic Peninsula
Red Caboose Getaway is centrally located near many Olympic Peninsula things to do. From Sequim guests can enjoy day trips to the Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park (forests, mountains and ocean beaches), nearby Port Townsend, and even a day trip to Victoria B.C. Canada. It’s all easy to access from sunny Sequim and Red Caboose Getaways.
Staying in Sequim for the day will also bring you plenty of things to do. Visit the numerous lavender farms, hike the longest natural sand spit in the country and tour the lighthouse, see the animals at the Olympic Game Farm, take in a show at 7 Cedars Casino, take a walk at Railroad Bridge Park, bike the Olympic Discovery Trail, enjoy a game a golf, or kayak our calm waters. Take a drive, cycle or hike the Dungeness Scenic Loop to the Wildlife Refuge. Along the way enjoy the most beautiful views of the Sequim valley, Canada and the San Juans. Sequim also hosts fantastic festivals throughout the year. Sequim and the Olympic Peninsula also have a great selection of restaurants. For more on visiting sunny Sequim, visit the Sequim Website.
More Things to Do on the Olympic Peninsula that take less than a day:
- Salt Creek Recreation Area located on the Strait of Juan de Fuca west of Port Angeles offers fascinating tidal pools, (ask your hosts regarding tide tables).
- Olympic Discovery Trail starts in the Victorian seaport of Port Townsend, and ends on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. It has many beautiful sites to enjoy along the way, and passes nearby the entrance to Red Caboose Getaway.
- Hurricane Ridge is an easy 17 mile drive from the main entrance taking you up to 5,242 feet in elevation. The spectacular mountains are all around you. From the Visitor’s Center there are many trails that offer additional breath taking views of the glacier-clad peaks of the Olympic Mountains, panoramic views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the nearby alpine meadows. One can take a picnic lunch and spend the day at Hurricane Ridge and cap off the day by watching an awesome sunset.
- The Dungeness Spit and Wildlife Refuge offers great beach hiking and wildlife.
- The Olympic Game Farm in Sequim is great for children of all ages.
- Ediz Hook in Port Angeles provides great views of the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. Ediz Hook is part of the 5.5 miles of Waterfront Trail; perfect for jogging, walking, biking, or roller blading.
- The Elwha Valley west of Port Angeles is a beautiful drive along the rushing Elwha River. Nearby Madison Falls is an easy hike.
- Port Townsend, known as “Washington’s Victorian Seaport” is located 40 miles east of Toad Hall Bed and Breakfast. Victorian homes and commercial buildings erected during the late 1800s are still the cities trademark, along Fort Worden State Park.
- Golfing in Sequim: Cedars at Dungeness, SkyRidge Golf Course, Sunland Golf
Looking for more ideas? Check out our day trip suggestions!
Cape Flattery Head to the most Northwestern tip of the lower 48, visiting Cape Flattery on the Makah Reservation located 75 miles NW of PA on Hwy 112. Cape Flattery is located approx 7 miles from Neah Bay. The wooden walkway takes you to some of the most gorgeous, rugged and wild scenery on the…
Hoh Rainforest The Hoh Rain Forest is a not-to-be-missed attraction here on the Olympic Peninsula. Moist ocean air from the Pacific brings over 150″ (record of 211″) of annual rainfall to this area, which, along with presence of Sitka spruce and “colonnades” (row of trees that grew atop downed trees called “nurse logs”), qualify the…
Lake Crescent Lake Crescent is a crystal clear 12-mile long lake located 17 miles west of Port Angeles on Highway 101 (just an hour from Red Caboose Getaway). The glacier-carved lake offers swimming, boating and fishing. There are numerous places to get away from it all and to soak in the awesomeness of nature. Marymere…
Take the Coho Ferry over to Victoria and enjoy the friendly, flowered English city. The 18 mile crossing time is 90 minutes. A vehicle is not necessary for a day trip. There are numerous tours available as well as excellent public transportation. The Empress overlooking the Inner Harbour While in Victoria, you’ll have a vast…